Middle & High School Placement
Parents of 5th and 8th-grade students currently enrolled in San José Unified have an opportunity to provide three ranked preferences for their student’s school assignment when they transition to middle and high school, respectively.
- School Assignment Form
In January, you will receive a school assignment form to complete and return to your current school with your student. You can also submit your assignment request through our online parent portal anytime during the registration window. Registration for the 2019-2020 school year opens January 22, 2019, and closes February 8, 2019.
All requests must be submitted by end of the registration period in order to be processed on time. The school assignment form can also be completed through your existing account on the parent portal. Please see the information sent home with your student for instructions.
You will be informed of your student’s school assignment in mid-March. Soon afterward, your school principal will contact you with information regarding programs and classes for the upcoming year.
NOTE: If your neighborhood school is your first preference, you will be given priority placement at that school (see Priority Placement below).
- Priority Placement
It’s important for you to know that the number of students requesting a certain school may exceed that school’s programmatic or physical capacity. Whenever that happens, the district will assign students to their second- or third-choice school according to the following priorities, ranked in order of importance:
- Students who reside within the school attendance boundary;
- Students who are requesting a Voluntary Integrative Transfer;
- Students with a sibling who is currently attending the school and who will continue to be enrolled the following year; and
- Students whose school preference does not satisfy one of the above priorities.
- Wait List
If all three of your school preferences are unavailable, your student will be automatically assigned to your neighborhood school and placed on a wait list for your first preference school.
Students on the wait list will be given the following priority:
- Students who reside in the attendance boundary of the school (Students with a sibling currently attending the wait list school are given priority within this group.);
- Students with a sibling currently attending the wait list school;
- Students who participated in the Placement Process;
- All other students
Any student who wants to be placed on the wait list after phase 1 of school choice process will be placed on the order requested. Secondary wait list moment takes place during the first month of school and end of first semester.
All students are removed from wait lists at the end of each year. You must re-apply if you want your student placed on a wait list for the following school year.
Click here to learn about appealing your student’s school assignment.