- Elementary Transfers (Grades TK-5)
Does your student want to attend a school other than their neighborhood school?
Is your student attending a school other than their neighborhood school and want to return to their neighborhood school?
Intradistrict Transfer Priority
Students requesting an Intradistrict transfer will be placed according to these priorities, ranked in order of importance:
- A parent/guardian who works at a San José Unified site within the requested school’s attendance boundary
- Students with a sibling currently attending the requested school
- A parent/guardian who works within the requested school’s boundary
- Students with childcare within the requested school’s boundary
- Secondary Transfers (Grades 6-12)
Students applying for a Secondary Transfer must have a satisfactory academic, behavior, and attendance record. Applications must be signed by the principal from your student’s assigned school and include the student’s transcript and attendance record.
Transfers approved after the start of a semester will occur at the beginning of the next semester. If an application is approved and there is no space available, the student will be placed on the wait list.
- Transferring out of San José Unified
Students who live within the boundaries of San José Unified and would like to attend school in another district may apply for an Interdistrict Transfer.
If your application is approved, it will be sent to the requested district, which also must approve it before the transfer is complete.
San José Unified will approve transfers to another district for the following reasons:
- The students receives childcare services within the boundary of the requested district (Grades TK-5 only; verification required);
- One or more parent guardian works within the boundary of the requested district (Grades TK-5 only; verification required);
- The student is in their last year of an academic level (Grades 5, 8, and 12);
- The requested district or school has programs and/or curriculum not available in San José Unified;
- The student moved out of the requested district after the start of the school year; and/or
- A transfer would assist with the student’s socio-emotional adjustment.
When applying for an Interdistrict Transfer, parents must provide:
- Student’s Birth Certificate;
- Parent/Guardian Photo ID;
- Proof of residence within San José Unified boundaries;
- Child Care Affidavit or proof of employment, if applicable; and
- IEP (Special Education students only)
- Transferring into San José Unified
Students who live outside the boundaries of San José Unified and want to attend one of our schools must request an Interdistrict Transfer from their district of residence. Your district of residence will forward your application to San José Unified for review.
Even if an Interdistrict Transfers is granted, it will be renewed annually. Your student may be subject to displacement in future years due to increases in neighborhood enrollment at their chosen school.
Please note that transportation services will not be provided by the district for students with Interdistrict Transfers.
Interdistrict Transfers will be processed according to these priorities:
- Students whose parent/guardian is a district employee (30+ hours/week) at a site within the school’s attendance boundary OR students whose
- Students with a sibling attending the requested school;
- Students with childcare in the requested school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
- Students whose parents work within the school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
- Students in their last year of an academic level (Grades 5, 8 and 12);
- Change of address; and
- Socio-emotional adjustment.